Take Action! Educate Your State Legislators
The most effective way to get laws passed to help surface owners is for legislators to hear from their constituents — the people who can keep them in office.
- Tell them about what happened to you.
- Tell them what you think needs to be done to protect you and fellow West Virginia landowners from industry abuses.
- Tell them to support a Surface Owners' Bill of Rights.
Your horror stories of mistreatment and broken agreements, torn down fences, ruined water supplies and other property damage will help make the case for improved legislation.
Click here to enter your zip code and find out who your legislators are. You are represented by 2 Senators and 1 or more members of the House of Delegates.
Click on each legislator's e-mail address and to send them an e-mail.
If you have more time, it is even more effective to write them a letter or call them on the phone.
Writing them a letter is the best thing.
- From January through March (when the Legislature is in session) the address for all of the Senators and Delegates is:
West Virginia Legislature
State Capitol, Main Building
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305
- From April though December, send letters to their home addresses:
Senators' home addresses
Delegates' home addresses
Calling them is also good.
- From January through March (when the Legislature is in session) use these phone numbers:
or call either toll-free at 1-877-565-3447
- From April through December, call their home numbers:
Senators' home phone numbers
Delegates' home phone numbers
(NOTE: Not all Senators and Delegates check their e-mail regularly, which is why we recommend the writing them a letter or calling them.)
- If you call be sure to identify yourself as a constituent – legislators are most responsive to the people who can keep them in office.
- In e-mails and letters, be sure to include your home address and phone number so they will know you are from their district (and so they can get back you maybe if they have questions), and
- If you have no objection, please send a copy of your e-mail or letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or WV-SORO, 1500 Dixie Street, Charleston, WV 25311 so we will know who is hearing from their constituents.
If you are not a member of WV SORO join us today so we can let you know of critical times in the future to contact your legislators again.
Legislative Session Information:
- WV Legislative web-site: www.legis.state.wv.us (For bill tracking, legislators’ contact info., streaming audio and more)
- Legislative Reference & Information Center: 1-877-565-3447 or (304) 347-4836
Problems or comments on this web page? Let us know: email@example.com.