July 7, 2010
Upcoming Meeting and Events of Interest
Through July 19, 2010
Public Hearings and Comment Periods for DEP 2011 Proposed Rules
Click here and here for more details
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Chesapeake "Open House" on Geophysical (Seismic) Testing
6PM ~ Banks District VFD, Rock Cave, WV (Upshur County)
July 22, 2010
EPA Public Information Meeting for the Hydraulic Fracturing Study
Hilton Garden Inn, Pittsburgh/Southpointe
1000 Corporate Drive
Canonsburg, PA 15317
On June 23, 2010, WV-SORO participated in a US EPA stakeholders meeting regarding the agency’s planned study of hydraulic fracturing’s potential impact on drinking water, and provided input on the emphasis of the study and the importance of protecting our rural water supplies. (Click here see our comments.) Others wishing to contribute comments to EPA regarding the proposed Hydraulic Fracturing Research Study may:
(1) present oral comments at upcoming informational meetings;
(2) submit written comments at the informational meetings;
(3) submit electronic comments to EPA at email@example.com; or
(4) send written comments to EPA at the following address:
1200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20460.
Click here and here for more information.
August 13-15, 2010
Community Leaders Training Weekend
Sponsored by the Alliance for Appalachia
Camp Virgil Tate near Charleston, WV
The training will focus on skills and information related to community organizing as well as issues such as developing economic alternatives. By providing a number of longer and shorter workshop options, the goal is to appeal to people who have been organizing in their communities for a long time, as well as those who are just getting their feet wet.
There will be lots of music, fun, and fellowship. It will be an opportunity to learn more about:
* organizing 101 * how not to burn out * understanding regulatory agencies*
* talking to your neighbors about tough issues * conflict resolution * wrangling the media *
* skills to become a more effective leader in your community * dismantling racism * and much more.
Scholarships are available. Visit TheAllianceForAppalachia.org/training to learn more and to register.
The registration deadline is July 23rd to attend and July 16th if you wish to get a scholarship or financial assistance to attend.
Please contact Dana@TheAllianceForAppalachia.org or call (304) 546-8473 with any questions.
Click here for more information.