The Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance (ABRA) is a coalition of organizations concerned about the natural gas pipeline that Dominion Resources and its partner companies have proposed to build through portions of West Virginia and Virginia. The route would disrupt some of the most ecologically sensitive areas in the Eastern United States, including significant portions of the George Washington and Monongahela national forests. The pipeline would be built over fragile karst topography, thus presenting a potential hazard to regional water supplies. Further, it would bring unjustified risks and costs to many rural communities in its path, negatively affecting property rights and values, without long-term economic benefits. More About ABRA
Advice and Updates
- West Virginia Surface Owners' Guide to Oil and Gas Summary and Updates
- Enacting Local City or County Ordinances
- Seismic and Geophysical
- Leasing / Amendments
- The Provisions Needed by Surface Owners In Surface Use Agreements
- Partition Suits and Threats Thereof
- Gas Leaks
- Free Gas
- Buying Land
- Selling Land / Mineral Rights
- Selling land / Surface Owners
- Getting to own the oil/gas/minerals under your surface land
- Abandoned wells
- Going on Land Where There is Drilling Activity
- Coal Bed Methane
- Pads and other disturbance next door to you. What to do. Nuisance
- Farmland preservation - even if you do not own oil and gas minerals
What should I do?
- Advice for common situations and updates to Surface Owner's Guide
- You can refuse or block a horizontal well on your land
- If there is a proposal to plug an oil or gas well on your land, what should you do?
- West Virginia Surface Owners' Guide to Oil and Gas
- Erosion and Sediment Control Manual (that drillers must follow)
- Reporting Violations: Information on Filing a Complaint with the WV DEP Office of Oil & Gas or the EPA
- Why an old well is plugged, not “capped”; and how a well is supposed to be plugged; and why a lot of oversight of well pluggers is needed.
- Latest on leasing, forced pooling, amendments/ratifications and cotenancy
- How a Gas Well Is Drilled Down Into the Ground, and What Can Go Wrong
- What a depleted oil or gas well should look like after it is plugged
- Lawyers, experts, tax and mineral management advice, and water testers
- State Office of Oil and Gas
- Information on the Marcellus Shale
- More Helpful Links and How To Find Information On Particular Gas Wells
- Marcellus Shale Play well examples
- Photo slide show for drilling of small shallow well.
- Bad Examples!
- Surface Owner Stories