Take Action! Educate Your State Legislators

The most effective way to get laws passed to help surface owners is for legislators to hear from their constituents — the people who can keep them in office.

  • Tell them about what happened to you.
  • Tell them what you think needs to be done to protect you and fellow West Virginia landowners from industry abuses.
  • Tell them to pass legislation to plug current orphaned wells and to stop current wells from being orphaned.
  • Tell them about the need to implement the recommendations of the Horizontal Well Act studies and other protections for surface owners.

Your personal stories will help most to make the case for the public policy and regulatory changes needed to protect your land, air and water.

Click here to find your legislators and their contact information using your address or zip code.  (You are represented by 2 Senators and 1 or more members of the House of Delegates.)

You can also access contact information for Senators and Delegates on the WV Legislature’s website here and here. Click on each legislator’s e-mail address and to send them an e-mail. (NOTE: Not all Senators and Delegates check their e-mail regularly, which is why we recommend writing them a letter or calling them.)

If you have more time, it is even more effective to write them a letter or call them on the phone.

Writing them a letter is the best thing.

When the Legislature is in session (January through early March most years) the address for all of the Senators and Delegates is:

The Honorable (member’s name)
Room ______, Building 1
State Capitol Complex
Charleston, WV 25305

Office (room) numbers can be obtained from the Senate and House rosters here and here.

When the Legislature is not in session (April though December), send letters to their home addresses, which can be found by clicking on a Senator’s or Delegate’s name on the Senate and House rosters linked to above.

Calling them is also good.

During the legislative session, use the phone numbers at Senators’ and Delegates’ Capitol office numbers found on the Senate and House rosters here and here. The rest of the year, call their home numbers which can be found by clicking on a Senator’s or Delegate’s name on the Senate and House rosters.

IBe sure to identify yourself as a constituent – legislators are most responsive to the people who can keep them in office.

In e-mails and letters, be sure to include your home address and phone number so they will know you are from their district (and so they can get back to you if they have questions, etc.). Please send a copy of your e-mail or letter to us at info@wvsoro.org or WV-SORO, 1500 Dixie Street, Charleston, WV 25311 so we will know who is hearing from their constituents.

If you are not a member of WV SORO join us today so we can let you know of critical times in the future to contact your legislators again.

Legislative Session Information:

WV Legislative web-site:  www.legis.state.wv.us for bill tracking, legislators’ contact info., streaming audio and video, and more.

Legislative Reference & Information Center: 1-877-565-3447 or (304) 347-4836 to request a membership directory, other publications, and information about the Legislature.