If you want re-vegetation with seeds other than that at page 32 of the State’s Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Field Manual (which some farmers say is not all that beneficial and maybe even not good for some stock), then work on your driller before,during or after the comment period to use seed mixtures you get from your local soil conservation district, or seed mixtures etc. provided in Enhancing Wildlife Habitat on Oil and Gas Infrastructure which is recognized by the Field Manual on page 31, or if you want native seedings, seed mixtures in the Upper Elk River Watershed study of the West Virginia Division of Forestry.
Advice and Updates
- West Virginia Surface Owners' Guide to Oil and Gas Summary and Updates
- Enacting Local City or County Ordinances
- Seismic and Geophysical
- Leasing / Amendments
- Partition Suits and Threats Thereof
- Gas Leaks
- Free Gas
- Buying Land
- Selling Land / Mineral Rights
- Selling land / Surface Owners
- Getting to own the oil/gas/minerals under your surface land.
- Abandoned wells
- Going on Land Where There is Drilling Activity
- Coal Bed Methane
- Pads and other disturbance next door to you. What to do. Nuisance.
What should I do?
- Advice for common situations and updates to Surface Owner's Guide
- You can refuse or block a horizontal well on your land
- If there is a proposal to plug an oil or gas well on your land, what should you do?
- West Virginia Surface Owners' Guide to Oil and Gas
- Erosion and Sediment Control Manual (that drillers must follow)
- Reporting Violations: Information on Filing a Complaint with the WV DEP Office of Oil & Gas or the EPA
- Why an old well is plugged, not “capped”; and how a well is supposed to be plugged; and why a lot of oversight of well pluggers is needed.
- Latest on leasing, forced pooling, amendments/ratifications and cotenancy
- How a Gas Well Is Drilled Down Into the Ground, and What Can Go Wrong
- What a depleted oil or gas well should look like after it is plugged
- Lawyers, experts and water testers for surface owners
- State Office of Oil and Gas
- Information on the Marcellus Shale
- More Helpful Links and How To Find Information On Particular Gas Wells
- Marcellus Shale Play well examples
- Photo slide show for drilling of small shallow well.
- Bad Examples!
- Surface Owner Stories